Author Akanksha Gandhi
A rich, rice meal from Hyderabad, India.
1. Heat five to six cups of water in a deep pan. Add drained rice, salt, bay leaves, five green cardamoms, seven to eight black peppercorns, one cinnamon stick and cook till three fourth done. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat sufficient oil in a kadai/pan and deep-fry half the onion slices till golden. Drain and place on an absorbent paper.
3. Grind caraway seeds, one cinnamon stick, remaining black peppercorns, cloves and remaining green cardamoms to a fine powder and set aside (Spice Powder).
4. Take mutton pieces/ vegetables in a bowl. Add ginger paste, garlic paste and salt and mix. Add the spice powder, red chilli powder, half the fried onions crushed, yogurt, coriander leaves, half of the mint leaves and one tablespoon oil and mix. Let it marinate for about two hours in the refrigerator.
5. Heat two tablespoons ghee in a pan, remaining cinnamon and black cardamoms and sauté till fragrant. Add remaining onions and sauté till light golden. Add marinated mutton/ Vegetables, stir and cook on high heat for three to four minutes. Cover, reduce heat and cook till almost done.
6. Heat the remaining ghee in a thick-bottomed pan. Spread half the rice in a layer. Spread the mutton/vegetables over the rice. Sprinkle remaining torn mint leaves. Spread the remaining rice. Sprinkle saffron milk. Cover and cook under dum till done. Serve hot with a raita/ yogurt of your choice.
Note: To cook Biryani under Dum, cover the pan with a lid and seal the edge with aluminium foil at a low heat for 15-20.
All Ingredients are available in Indian store.
- 500gMutton/ chicken/vegetables
- A mix of chops, marrowbone and shoulder pieces
- 1 1/2 cups of Basmati rice
- salt to taste
- 2 Bay leaves
- 10 Green cardamoms
- 25-30 black peppercorns
- 3 inch stick of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon oil + to deep fry
- 5 large onions, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon (shai jeera) seeds
- 10 Cloves
- 1 tablespoon of ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon Garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon Red chilli powder
- 1 cup of yogurt
- 2 tablespoons of coriander leaves torn
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves torn
- 4 tablespoons pure ghee (clarified Butter)
- 2 tablespoons black cardamoms
a few strands of saffron (kesar), mix in 1/4 cup milk
Note: For Vegetarian Biryani use (Parboil Cauliflower, peas, corn, carrots& fry potatoes).